Friday 6 May 2011

Post 20

Short Film Final Product

Below is the final video from our production which we named 'Karma.'























Postcard












Once I had completed revising and analysing other short film postcard designs I realised the importance and success a postcard can bring to a short film. Taking notes of their conventions, I believed I had enough knowledge to use this information to produce my own postcard.












In order to come up with my best possible final postcard, I produced a number of mock-ups. Whilst producing these postcards, I made sure I used a variety of conventions and different styles in order to give more of an option when asking a number of our target audience which they thought was best. However, I did not fully rely on the audiences views on my postcards, I also included my own thoughts as I have more knowledge on the theme of the film, therefore would know what would best represent this film.





















Once showing each of my postcard mock-ups to a few people I gathered within our target audience, and giving a brief explanation on how it would be once fully developed, the majority of my positive feedback came with my final design. This was mainly due to its ‘simple yet appealing’ design.































Eventually I came with a final decision of using the postcard the majority of my audience had preferred, as it also contained a theme strongly related to the film I believe. Although I initially thought an image of the main character would be best, I decided settling for an image which would relate to the film would best as it would give the audience a visual thought of what to expect.












The other two mock-up designs I created as potential final postcards I believe had great potential however it simply didn’t have the finish which would have gained the attraction as the chosen postcard does. One of the mock-ups simply contained the tag line as a background whereas the other contained grey clouds in the same style as my final postcard. I believe the picture of the school our main character attended, darkened, is a stronger image as the gloomy picture reflects on the theme and mood of the film therefore gives a strong image to the viewer of what to expect when viewing the film.












For the back of the postcard, there weren’t many interesting conventions I had come across therefore simply glancing at other similar items, I included what seemed most necessary and what most other popular postcards had, then placed them onto my design in a simple yet attractive way. This I believe would be better than keeping it the way the majority of other postcards had done, as it tends to hold significant things such as a synopsis, therefore keeping it appealing would help keep its attraction therefore making it useful to its best ability.





















Within the back of my postcard, I included the cast, credits, and a short paragraph on the story, all three of which I thought would be important in familiarising the audience with our final short film piece. The colour choice was simply included to keep appealing to the viewer, however was chosen to compare with the front of the postcard as well.















Short Film Review Page




As the picture above of my film review doesn't enlarge big enough to be read easily, i have written below the contents of the text.


.............................................


Karma, a short film produced by Emily Downer set to bring a whole new image to the film industry. A brand new film produced by the newly come producer, it has also been tipped to become hugely successful within film festivals having introduced a story of a teenagers school life.



The main character, Lucieanne, played incredibly by Bryony Saletes is simply another one of those bullies every student comes across. However, although she gets a good feeling from putting others in misery, her family life has proven to do the same to her. There are many scenes within the short film showing how Lucieanne disrupts others from learning as well as sarcastically abusing others. This attitude she carries out in school leads to the main character eventually having no friends although they are unaware of her home situation which could be the trigger for her un-happy behaviour.




Emily Downer has straight away introduced the audience to Lucieanne’s issues making them aware that this could possibly be the reason to the horrible behaviour she later inflicts.




The film shows the outcomes of Lucieanne’s unnecessary behaviour; losing friends and even being bullied herself, a contrast to everyday bullies. However this clearly shows Lucieanne’s weakness, again linking into the first scene of her argument with her dad.



The music plays a huge part within this film as it helps reflect the mood of the main character. This is easily noticed when viewing the film, and helps easily understand the situation of each scene cue to the good choices and integrations.



The locations used also play a good part within the film as they are well chosen. The typical bully tends to carry out their actions within school grounds, however retaliations to these bullies tend to be outside of school to help the victims remain anonymous and successful in their revenge.




Overall, this film has many positive notes and is well worth looking out for as it is tipped to do extremely well in many Short Film Festivals.


.....................................


End of Review Text.





To start off the production of my review page, I firstly researched into existing reviews taking into consideration their conventions, the style in which they write, and what makes each review successful. These notes I had produced, I used on my review page in order to make my review look as genuine as possible; these included conventions and layouts from Sight and Sound articles.










Another convention I found and used was within the first paragraph where I explained the key details of the film in a fascinating way; this should most likely then capture the reader in wanting to read more adding to the films success.



















My main target when planning for my review was to ensure an eye catching sight in order to attract the reader. I did this by using a convention popularly used in many other reviews, placing a large picture which could intrigue the viewer. I chose a coloured picture in order to make it seem more realistic therefore clearer for the reader to understand/imagine.










Another target was to keep the reader intrigued to the review, therefore what I had written had to be in a way which wouldn’t bore our target audience but attract them to the film even more.

















Using the notes I had previously taken on other Sight and Sound articles, I structured out my review and wrote it to the best of my ability according to the notes I had taken. Keeping the text interesting was my main target when writing the review as our film is aimed at teenagers therefore the contents would have to be more appealing than if aiming at older people.




The reviews placed on the side of my review are ones I found on Sight and Sounds website. I used them to make my review page look more realistic, as small reviews are common in many film review magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment