Tuesday 19 April 2011

post 17

Film reviews





Before producing my own film review for Karma, I researched and analysed other film reviews in order to gain ideas on how to produce my own to its best ability. This was done using articles online and in magazines where I could use information from both types and attempt to bring it all into one, possibly bringing a better final product. Although their magazine articles I focused on more, as their internet articles were more dependant on content rather than anything else as well as the fact that I wasn’t producing an internet article.







I decided to use articles by Sight and Sound to help me with this specific task. Sight and Sound is a magazine published by the British Film Institute (BFI) where it talks about films in the past, present and future all around the world therefore I believe due to its popularity and success, this could easily help me with my research and production.



The first thing I discover in the majority of articles written by Sight and Sound are the images, most of which are of a large size therefore catching the reader’s eye immediately and attracting them into reading the article. Each picture placed in the magazine has its own importance in relation to the film it’s representing therefore the choice of each picture placed in these articles are significant in order for better understanding and acknowledgement by each reader. Therefore using this information I gathered, I used this to help produce my article picking strong visual images for an improved piece.




Another significant part of each article produced by Sight and Sound is the synopsis they provide for each popular review they accomplish. This synopsis talks about the plot of each film in detail familiarising each reader with the discussed film. This could be useful for a successful article as it would then prepare for the reader for the review, whereas if there was no synopsis the reader would not understand the review to its full extent. Also, I have realised that these synopsis’ are quite detailed and reveal a lot of the film therefore in order to produce successful articles like the ones produced by Sight and Sound, I believe providing my article with a detailed synopsis would become extremely useful.





Sight and Sound tend to keep each of their articles using standard colours rather than bright attracting colours as some other magazines do. This could be because they prefer keeping their articles professional rather than eye-catching making it seem like the company is more interested in its attraction rather than the article itself. As Sight and Sound articles are relatively successful, the points I have gathered from researching and analysing from their pieces, I shall use when producing my own article in order to receive positive feedback when given to a potential audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment